Bimbo Bakeries USA’s Response to COVID-19
To Our Valued Consumers:
The past few weeks have been nothing like any of us have ever experienced in our lifetime. We are so appreciative of our frontline associates who have worked tirelessly to feed America while staying safe. We are also thankful for how the rest of our teams have rallied behind them to provide the support needed to achieve our mission. While there appears to be some light at the end of the tunnel, there will be challenging weeks ahead and we are prepared to handle them.
Supporting Our Associates & Communities
Bimbo Bakeries USA is proud to be an essential business and we are committed to continuing to fulfill our responsibility to ensure the safety of our associates, while providing them with the tools they need and recognition they deserve. We are proud to tell you about some of our continuous efforts to serve our associates, customers, consumers and communities.
Health and Safety
In addition to continuing heightened levels of sanitation and following all CDC recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented the following safety measures:
- Face Coverings: Requiring anyone in a BBU facility or interacting with the public during the normal course of business to wear a face covering to prevent the spread of the virus. We are distributing masks to all frontline associates; these disposable masks are high-quality, but not the N95 respirators that should be reserved for at-risk healthcare workers.
- Sanitization Kits: Distributing hand sanitizer and wipes to all frontline sales associates.
- Temperature Checks: Deploying thermometers to our locations as an added security measure. Anyone with a temperature at or above 100 degrees cannot enter.
- Social Distancing: Just a few examples of social distancing protocols include marking locations on floors to indicate 6 foot distances at entrances and time clocks, staggering shift start times to limit associate interactions and limiting the number of tables and chairs in break rooms.
- Daily Monitoring: Our cross-functional COVID-19 Response Team meets each day to review evolving CDC recommendations and other public health guidelines and take action to protect our associates and ensure business continuity.
Pay and Benefits
Across the company, Bimbo Bakeries USA has:
- Extended Essential Support Pay for our frontline associates and supervisors in manufacturing, distribution and sales for an additional four weeks.
- Eliminated all medical costs in BBU sponsored health plans related to COVID-19 testing and treatment for associates and their families.
- Provided up to two weeks of pay for associates who are confirmed to have the virus or are laid-off as a result of it.
For the past several years, Bimbo Bakeries USA has partnered with Feeding America to combat food insecurity across the U.S. by donating 20 million pounds of our product to their food banks each year. The need has grown exponentially over the past few weeks as more Americans need help and these facilities are stressed for food supply and volunteers. Bimbo Bakeries USA has taken the following actions to support Feeding America and our neighbors in need:
- BBU will direct all product donations to Feeding America food banks, giving food insecure households across the country access to our bread, buns, bagels, English muffins and sweet baked goods during this difficult time. We expect this to significantly increase BBU’s annual product donation.
- We have established the BBU Matching Program to benefit Feeding America’s COVID-19 Relief Fund. Through this program, BBU will match 100% of all donations to Feeding America’s COVID-19 Relief Fund, up to $500,000. Due to the urgent need, BBU has donated our $500,000 match immediately. We have encouraged our associates, suppliers, partners and extended networks to donate through https://feedingamerica.org/bimbo-covid. These tax-deductible donations will help Feeding America distribute non-perishable emergency boxes to communities while helping local food banks offset their mounting costs.
We appreciate you as a dedicated consumer and will continue to update you as needed. Our associates are committed to feeding every city, town and community every day and we will not let you down in these unprecedented times.
The Team at Bimbo Bakeries USA
Updated April 20, 2020